- Words and images by George Johnson
Goal & objective
To introduce waste material supply and building disassembly as integral components to RIBA work stages and respond to the growing disconnect between architects, the public and construction material supply chains. In doing so, the project aims to propose an alternative form of public engagement with the waste management process, drawing the citizen into the heart of the action.
Assembled from waste and designed for disassembly. The proposal will feature a reconfiguration of the existing Hackney waste management centre. Materials are redirected into a large material bank where a series of workshops, public exhibitions and education centres will encourage creative reuse of old materials for future construction.
• An architectural language rooted in local waste streams
• A new role for architects to manage building disassembly
• A reduction in construction waste and raw material extraction
• A change in the societal view of waste management
• Development of innovative construction materials from waste
Millfields Road, London Borough of Hackney